As many of you know, in 2017, Puerto Rico got hit by a devastating hurricane called Maria. Soon after the hurricane, I started to help families around the island using Diy Solar Generators that I put together using 18650 recycled batteries and equipment. Some of the generators built in the USA b... Read More
As many of you know, in 2017, Puerto Rico got hit by a devastating hurricane called Maria. Soon after the hurricane, I started to help families around the island using Diy Solar Generators that I put together using 18650 recycled batteries and equipment. Some of the generators built in the USA by members of the Diy community and others were made by me.
Thanks to God, we manage to help 49 families around the island... the goal was 100...!!!
We couldn't help more families because it took so long to put together a battery pack for a generator that by the time one device was done and ready to install, the family got their power restored.
After summer 2018 I started to tinker with the idea of a battery kit that allowed me to build diy battery packs fast and easy. That's when the Diy PCB Battery Kit was born.
On this video I show you the humble beginnings of the battery kit.
The Diy Powerwall Battery kit was created to help the average person get a reliable source of energy storage fast and easy. When a pack like this was made in the past, the person had to solder the cells using heat from a soldering gun or using a spot welder which can be expensive. Now, they only have to place the cells on the board and make the proper connections, saving time and money while getting a sense of relieve and satisfaction.
Who will benefit from this kit?
- Diy Solar Energy community: We all want a reliable source of energy but we don't want to break the bank. A kit like this allows us to make Powerwalls fast and easy.
- Non-Profit Organizations: With a kit like this we can provide solar energy to remote areas while helping the planet sense we are using recycled lithium batteries that will end on a landfill if we don't act fast.
By having access to a battery kit they can deploy a camp anywhere and use the diy powerwall for lights and medical equipment without the need of gas generators.
They can also use the kit to donate solar generators around the world.
- Low income families: There is power in knowledge and the poor tend to pay the price because of this. Imagine a world where a low income family can have access to reliable energy storage that they've put together and with the savings they get from the utility bills, they can now use that money for a better education for their kids.
In this video I go over a full installation of a 1 Kwh Battery in under 1 hour:
What will I do with the funds.
I make and manufacture the powerwall kits at home and by myself. Thank God I have a large list of back orders but the amount of work is way too much for just one person to handle, specially without the proper tools and hardware.
That's why I need help...
For the first part of the project we are going to focus on these:
- Mass Manufacturing the kit: I already have a process figure out that allows me to make 100 - 200 kits per week. Its a very reliable process and with the right tools I'll be able to produce 10 times that, maybe more.
- Job creation: I'll like to hire 1 or 2 people to start working on the project while I focus on making workshops on and offline. There's a second part of the project that needs my attention which is the Super Smart Battery Management System and I'll like to start working on it, ASAP.
- Working Space: Right now I work at my house in a small 20'x8' space that I share with the laundry. I need a better working space to be able to expand the operation and also be able to hire employees and do workshops for the local community and the online crowd.
The SSBms or Super Smart Battery Management System is a most have tool on every Diy Powerwall that gets created. It prevents overcharging, over-discharging, overheating among other functionalities.
I'll share the progress over my YouTube channel but in the meantime these are the functionalities that we want to have on the SSBms.
- Temperature reading
- Voltage and Current reading
- Access over mobile and web app
- Capable of working with Samsung Smart-things and Google Home.
- Power management of the house: Ex, Turn off a light remotely or shutoff the whole Powerwall from anywhere.
- Remote Service oriented
- Active Cell Balancing
These are some of the core functionalities that we are looking to have on the SSBms but there is room to grow and that's why we will Open-Source the code to help out the community while also growing the software to its full potential.
When the time comes we will also release the PCB design for the battery kit and the SSBms as an Open-Source license for personal use and non-profit organizations. This will allow us to help more families in Puerto Rico and other remote areas while also creating jobs and more resilient homes around the world.
I'll be forever grateful for the help that I got from the community when I was helping the families on Puerto Rico.
49 homes is not a small number, but now, with your help, we can reach millions of families around the globe faster than ever while reducing the e-waste contamination that these cells produce when they end up in a land fill.
Thanks in advance for any help you can provide for this project.
God Bless you all.
Posted By Javier Camacho
January 19, 2019
Social media pages
raised from 11 people
He loves God, family and helping people. Javier is a self thought Software Developer and after the devastation left from Hurricane Maria in Puerto Rico, he dedicated a whole year to provide Solar Powered Electricity using recycled materials.He helped 49 families all by himself.
Way to go.
I love Javier's work! Keep it up brother!
Hello, I use recycled 18650 cells too for my small solarplant and I know how many work it's need to solding all the powerwalls in the past. I am from Germany and I hope I can get some kits from you. Greetings from Germany Stephan Bendig
Thanks for your help
I'm very impressed wit what you have done.
Javier te deseo lo mejor y gracias por tus esfuerzos para ayudarnos a todos en P.R
Vi y lei el reportaje entiendo que tienes el deseo, los conocimientos y la motivación. Soy de los que piensa que con ayuda y esfuerzo podemos llegar lejos asi que ahi va mi granito de arena espero puedas lograr la meta economica para el desarrollo del proyecto quizas algun dia invento algo y tu me ayudas a mi. Saludos desde Hatillo, P.R.
because you are helping
Hola, me encanta tu proyecto e iniciativa. Tomare un curso para hacer proyectos comunitarios a personas de edad avanzada o con necesidad de equipos medicos especiales en comunidades de pocos recursos. Tu proyecto es genial. Gracias por compartir.
Thank you for your DIY videos which will help so many people install their own systems. It's great to see this new invention to make it easy for anyone to build their own storage unit. Thank you for helping all our people in the island. Keep up the great work!!! Respect, Evelyn
Copyright © 2020 YouHelp, Inc. All rights reserved. Campaigns published on YouHelp.com website and social media channels should not be viewed as an endorsement of the views or a verification of the policies of the campaign. Campaigns with a "verified" status badge have been verified by the payment processor.